Step 3: Conclusion and Recommendations
Following the Royal Commissioner’s findings, as a class consider the following questions:
- What were the lasting effects of the Petrov Affair on Australia’s political climate?
- How did ordinary Australians respond to the Petrov Affair?
- Why did Menzies announce Petrov’s defection on 13th April? What were the effects of this? and
- Is there a basis for Evatt’s claims of a conspiracy?
Provide evidence to support your answers to all questions.
Preparation of Recommendations
1. As a class, you will use your research and notes taken during the Royal Commission to discuss:
- What can we learn about contemporary issues of fear and security from Australia’s reaction to the threat of communism in the 1950s?
2. The results of your discussion should take the form of recommendations relating to individual and national responses to fear.
Real World Feedback
3. Send your recommendations to email@example.com. We will respond to them and place them on the WebQuest website.